Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Practice to Perform!

In my last blog post I addressed how to better ones writing. I gave tips on how to become a stronger writer and how to independently improve one's writing style. I mentioned several times throughout that blog post, that in order to become a better writer, one must write a lot, and of course, read just as much.  For example, every athlete trains so that they will be able to perform to the best of their ability. Olympic athletes have approximately a year to train before every competition. Do you understand how much practice that is? If properly trained, the performance of the athlete should be stellar! When writing, similar to sports, performing is the ultimate task and good writers always wants to do their best.
Practice is extremely imperative to a writer because it allows them, as well as others, to see where improvement has taken place. Errors are made so that they can be corrected, hence improvement. As students, we practice writing in many areas so that we can ameliorate our writing ability. In any writing course, our work is judged. Our performance is recorded and feedback is given. As a writer, I am constantly reminding myself to practice so that I can perform well. After my performance is judged, feedback is given, and I make the needed adjustments. Writer's first practices, then they perform. This is repeated, and over time it allows the writer to augment their writing caliber. After a while it all becomes a process really. However, let not this process be taken lightly. Remember, performing and doing well is the ultimate task.

3 comments:

  1. You are right. Practicing is always the most important thing in most filed. we can only find out our problems after practicing again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Torrence, great job on this post. I really like how you talked about a previous post, gave a little instie to the subject, and then picked up with your next post. This is a good style of writing for becoming a skilled blogger. I also agree strongly with you. You could look at writing and compare it to athletes, both require extensive practice. However, if you remember at the beginning of the year Mrs. Sasser talked about “The Myth of ‘Practice Makes Perfect” . In the study it showed that not just practice but deliberate practice. I think in both writing and sports it is essential to improving to find your weakness and work to improve. Never being 100% satisfied and always believing you can do better not only can make you a better writer but a better person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents have always told me practice makes perfect, and I still live by that. You can also contribute that to your writing. Write a detailed paragraph and have someone look over it and mark the grammatical errors, fragments, etc. Once you've looked over what you need to work on, start practicing and you will only progress.

    ReplyDelete